It's Wednesday, so why not rip off a great idea from a great blogger and get random.
1. I'm single-parenting it this week and we're all surviving. Craig is in Stuttgart...Arkansa so I'm waiting to be regaled by tales of his cross-cultural experience. The only thing I wish for is ice-cream. I must plan ahead tomorrow and buy the ice cream before I pick up the kids because I can't go out once they're in bed. I'm told Ben and Jerry's Black and Tan is good. And that's close enough to beer for me right now.
2. That's because I'm tired. Work has been hectic, but in that "I'm getting so much done" way. I submitted another paper to a journal for review, I've been doing interviews and focus groups and stuff is just happening. But it is tiring.
3. Go check out this web site and register your support for family diversity. In Canada and the United States a lot of people want to tell others what constitutes a family and demonize those who are not heterosexual married baby making machines. They need your support. Read Jo's much more reasoned and impassioned entry about it too.
4. Did I mention that Craig and I have *started* to look for a house to buy? Why didn't anyone tell me how much fucking work it is to get pre-approval for a mortgage, find a realtor, look at places and all that? I'm almost bored of it already. We rent a great house that we can't afford to buy, and which isn't for sale, so we're just exploring our options. To stay in our neighbourhood will cost us more than renting (and for a house half the size and in about the same crappy state of old-house-which-needs-$$$-work) but we have this feeling that we need to get into the market. I wish I could have a more European sensibility and just continue renting, but the idea of home ownership has been ingrained into me by just about everyone and I fear living in a hovel eating cat food when I'm retired if I don't get "into the market".
5. My kids have far far far too much energy. Why aren't they tired?
6. I'm contemplating riding my bike to work in a skirt tomorrow. I'm not sure this is a good idea. I have a first-generation styled mountain bike and don't want flash my ass to everyone on the Bloor viaduct. I hate to let my desire to wear a skirt take away from getting some exercise. And I have errands to run so I can't just keep changing into shorts.
7. Rosemary has new pins and shawl sticks. They are gorgeous. Go check them out. I have the stars and moons shawl stick and I love those hammered metal ones.