It took 5 days (I did eat, sleep, run, play, drink beer, work, parent and do other stuff, but still) and it was a real slog, but my Ella coat now has a pretty ruffly hem.
Actually it's had a hem since Sunday and as of Tuesday night, it has a fancy-dancy button band.
I am running low on the main colour of yarn so I knew I wouldn't be doing the full-ruffle Ella (and seriously, I am DONE with picot ruffle bind offs). I pondered my options and went for the tailored and slightly girlie look of a fold over hemmed button band with a picot turning row.
And because I'm worried about yardage (and because this is a fancy-dancy coat) I did a nifty stipey bit on the inside hem.
It is perfect for the coat.
Then I got a bit stuck. What the heck will I use for closures.
I want the coat to stay closed and right now am leaning towards buttons. I love the stability of the hemmed edge so will do a folded, picot hemmed buttonhole band.
What's stopping me is buttons. I need some. They need to be *perfect*. But I don't want to go making buttonholes until I know what they'll be buttoning.
The hunt is on. I want them to be the same colour as the band (cranberry-ish) and subtle--not blingy.
Suggestions are welcome.