So pinning all that Charlotte onto my rug. Trying to get the shape right over two layers seemed an impossible task. Well, a great knitter on one of the lists suggested I make a form to put the poncho on. After a bit of brainstorming I came up with a nice easy solution. Neat eh?
It's rigid foam insulation that sells for cheap at your local hardware store. It comes in 8 ft by 4 ft sheets so bring your box cutter. This is my blocking surface of choice and these pieces were on their last legs from many pins. I didn't have a piece long enough so I duct-taped two pieces together (you can see it on the left). Then, with some almost-clever measuring, I made a poncho shape and put the poncho on it. I stretched it for length and width, pinned the top and bottom and that was it.
Well, not quite. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to spatial relations. I made my form too long. So while the top and bottom measurements are correct, it needed to be modified slightly so that I could have the bottom edge at the widest point (which could have been a bit wider). That's why the "neck" of my trapezoid is a bit wonky. I figure I'll steam block any weirdness out of it that might occur from my miscalculations and "reshaping" of my form.
All that's left is the neck and possible fringe. And, because I've used up my blocking board, I get a trip to the hardware store (I have a thing for gadgets).